Monday, September 22, 2008

The many hats of a mom...

We all know the many hats a mom wears: teacher, doctor, chef, taxi driver, referee, maid- the list goes on and on. Well under my hat today are a few extra (no, many) gray hairs. That is because today I was an EMT. As Brooke was sitting at the island eating her lunch and squirming (as Brooke does) she fell off her stool. She was hanging, practically upside down from the island with one foot up on the stool next to her and the other foot twisted behind her stuck through the rungs of the chair. She screams "help me" and starts to cry as I ran around the island and picked her back up to a seated position.

Just as I sit her up and am about to scold her for squirming so much she grabs at her throat and then *silently* starts digging in her mouth with both hands as she begins turning different shades of blue. I push her hands away and tried sticking my finger in her mouth. When that didn't work I quickly picked her up and performed the Heimlich maneuver folding her in half over my fist- her body hanging over my arms like a towel over a clothesline. Out pops the chewed up carrots and broccoli and she begins gasping for air and crying- so so scary!

She looks at me like "what the hell just happened?" and says "Mommy, you saved me." She still had no idea why I had to pick her up like that and hurt her little belly but I explained it to her. She kept saying how she couldn't breathe. Today I was the Higgleytown Hero (one of her favorite shows)!

Good thing I made an appointment with my colorist this morning.

1 comment:

Sara said...

That is one of my worst nightmares. Good for you for being able to jump into action like that! I'm so glad it all worked out alright.